"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."

Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Could Get Used to This

The book arrived yesterday, but I didn't have time to start reading it as I was preparing to go to Relief Society. I got home late and started reading. My husband was on the couch next to me and I paused from my reading to talk to him about Say Go Be Do. He is really good about acting on them.

(In fact, when I got home from the church I noticed our house smelled funny. To me it smelled like Bondo, but Joel said it was gasoline. Before I had a chance to ask him why the house smelled like gasoline a flurry of small children came running from their rooms-to say good night, but also to find out if I had brought them anything from the Exchange Table. Yes, I had, a big bag of books, but no you can't look at them 'til tomorrow-now go to bed you aren't supposed to be up this late-hug-hug-hug, good night, good night-love you, too-get away from that bag or you won't see them tomorrow-go to bed now! Whew. With all the kids back in bed I could finally say to my husband, "why does the house smell like gasoline?" He said he had a prompting to work on the chainsaw and make sure that it was working. It wasn't-so he was trying to figure out why the engine would cut out as he gave it gas and had brought some parts into the house to work on. The smell of the gasoline came in with the parts. He hasn't used the chainsaw in years and I can't imagine why we'll need it ready, but there it is. It was a Say Go Be Do and he acted on it. He does that stuff all the time.)

I didn't get to read the whole book last night because I followed a Say Go Be Do to go to sleep. But I read enough to get the idea of what I should be listening for. So this morning, I turned my "ears" up. I got a prompting to tell my oldest how much I love and appreciate her. She does a lot for me and the other kids. I come to expect too much from her. She's only eight years old, but sometimes I treat her as if she is 16 and should "know better" in many situations.

I saw her sitting alone in the front room, her head was down and she looked a little sad. So with just the two of us in the room, I sat on the couch and drew her close to me in a big hug and told her that I love her, and I appreciate what she does as my daughter and what a big helps she is to me. I told her what a great big sister she is to her four younger siblings and that she is a good example to them. I told her she was an important part of our family and I know that I don't tell her enough how much I love and appreciate her, but that I will change and let her know more often. Then I gave her another big squeeze and a kiss on the cheek. She took a step back and had just the biggest smile on her face-she was beaming. I was too. It was a sweet moment for the two of us. I am really grateful I acted on that prompting. I almost put it off. Had I done that I may have never gotten around to it, and what a shame it would have been to miss that.

No comments:

Post a Comment