"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."

Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Knife

A little background: My mother was in town for a couple of days. She was using my large chef knife and commented on how the tip was broken off of it. I lamented that my eldest had taken the knife outside and stuck it into a large tree trunk or something. When he returned it to me, the tip had been broken. I was pretty mad about that, but it was over a year ago and the knife still works, so, oh well.

Next day: My mom was in town because she has this job where she cooks for a bunch of ladies while they scrapbook in the mountains of Utah. She does this twice a year. So, she takes her knives from home because that way she knows she has something sharp and good to work with. Good sharp tools are very important to a chef.

She is preparing dinner for me and gets her NICE chef knife out and uses it to cut chicken. After dinner I carefully wash and dry the knife and make sure to set it on a clean part of the kitchen counter.

Several times I walk past the knife and say to myself, I should probably go put that in my mom's suitcase. I talk myself out of it because well... I am busy.... I don't know where exactly it goes in the suitcase... my mom is busy reading to the children, and several other excuses.

Later that evening I am with my mom in her room and there the knife is, in her suitcase. I say, "Oh, I'm glad you got your knife!" She says to me smiling, "Yes. Apparently Ivan used it to cut wood!" My jaw dropped and I looked at her in horror saying, "Oh No!!!!!" She said, "Well, I guess it worked." Thank goodness nothing happened to her knife and all is well that ends well. But, I SHOULD have listened to my SGBD!

Learning.....learning..... :)

1 comment:

  1. Agh!! This post is so therapeutic for me! I just can't stop thinking that I'm just so glad it isn't just me that this stuff happens to! :)

    ReplyDelete