"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."

Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Did I have any today?

While painting late last night, I was considering whether or not I had received any promptings today (Wednesday). I paused in my job to check this blog site and there was Jennifer's post, quoting from the book these words, "everyone receives inspiration everyday. The difference is whether or not people choose to listen to and follow the inspiration they receive."

I went back to painting to think more about this...I was very busy through out the day, painting, art class, encouraging writing, meals, reading class, trips to Lowe's ...when it occurred to me that  two things happened that I did decided to act on.

Beth needs another eye exam. She just got glasses about a month ago and is saying there are words she can't read anymore. The idea to call right then as I was painting. I don't think it's anything major, though as a former nurse I sometimes wonder. So I called.
The other thought was to take Eli to the monthly Teen Volunteer Board that meets the first Wednesday at Provo's library. At the time of this idea, Eli was in his art class. I drove home to get the application and decided if I was going to get him to go I better fill out the form myself.  Perhaps this is a Say part of SGBE as Dezra mentioned at the end of her post of the Be part of SGBD. Eli didn't really want to go, but I felt he should so I said he would. Fear of the unknown in any of us will keep us from acting. That is why I felt I should follow my Say in this and not his say.

The library activity turned out good for Eli and Beth as she was invited to attend. I'm glad I had suggested Beth stay at the library and wait for Eli. For her it was a dream come true to look and read all so many books. Instead she agreed to help with moving boxes with the other youth on this committee.

Conclusion: All these little thoughts that come in quickly and can leave just as instantly have to have some little thread of our minds free to attach on to and be pulled into a more conscious part of our thinking so something can be done.  Maybe that isn't correct. Acting quickly on sudden little thoughts, such as pick up the crayon, take the cell phone with me, not that road, make the appointment now while the thought is fresh and present, go give a hug, just tell her you love her, put lotion on his feet...

Perhaps these are called Just Do Its?  What was that saying of President Kimball's? I can't quite see it, something involving a circle?

Don't just get around to it, Do It Now.

1 comment:

  1. This brings to my mind the importance of having order in my life and home. Without some order, I feel so out of control that I don't "Do It Now". It fits into, "being prepared" so we have resources to draw from physically, mentally and spiritually, for even the little things...that matter so much.

    ReplyDelete