"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."

Leonardo da Vinci

Friday, May 20, 2011

When dealing with teens, texting can be heaven sent

My teen girls are adopted, and sometimes is just so difficult to get them to talk about anything let alone "feelings." One of my girls is very quiet at home. She's a social butterfly out of the house, but at home, it can be like pulling teeth to get more than one word answers out of her.

I've noticed that she's been very moody and distant with me lately. Circumstantial or not, it seems to be a problem. I was going to ask her what's up, but I figured that I'd get the usual "Nothing." in response. Then, it came to me that I should just text her. Texting is so...what's the word?...superficial?... yet in the case, it got the job done.

Here's the message I sent. "Just thinking about you this morning. Hope you're having a good day. Good luck in your game tonight. Love you."

Her response was almost immediate. "Thank you, Mum. I love you, too. :) "

A smiley face and a British-style "Mum" from her is a big deal. Perhaps, I won't ask if something is wrong. I think I'll just chalk this one up as "18 and hormonal." I figure that if I just keep killing it with kindness, eventually, she'll have to like me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, Youare much a helpful person to us. I look forward to the gatherings when I get to hear your insight.

    ReplyDelete