"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."

Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, October 3, 2011

Thanks for getting me started!

 Here are some of my recent SGBD's:

 1. Exercise for just 20 minutes a day, not counting stretching. Sounds wimpy I know...but that was my SGBD!  Would you know that I am now LOVING exercise again! I had got out of the habit and it's been years  since I've actually enjoyed it. I trade off days between cardio and weight training and my little 20 minute effort has resulted in less chiropractor visits, better sleep and more energy.

2. In a past conference talk we were told to turn our sympathies to action. That council comes to my mind often when I feel sympathy for another person's situation. Often I can't come close to solving anything and I often feel my offering is less then adequate, but according to the council received in conference, I need to do something.

The impression to do came to me when I was talking to a neighbor and hearing about her financial troubles. I felt impressed to buy her a Grocery store gift certificate. I had a certain amount come to mind. I told my husband about my thoughts but didn't mention the amount. He came up with the same amount. The amount wouldn't come close to what she needed but it could say, 'We love you and God is watching over you'.

 When I gave her the gift this morning I had a chance to hear more of her story. I felt impressed to share what I learned with another friend and  a trail of promptings through other people spread through the neighborhood- which led to a way to get her some bread orders. (She sells homemade bread.) Our ward will be buying her loaves for the RS dinner and also our Christmas dinner. Stake leaders were notified so that other wards can use her for their parties as well. As it turns out, many people following SGBD's led to a way to help my friend way more then my original little gift ever will.

3. I was wanting more overgrown zucchini the other day, if you can imagine that! We usually have more then we can eat. This year however has been different because we have found more ways to eat it that we like and have been dehydrating some as well. I felt impressed to call an 80 year old widow in our ward and ask her if she had any overgrown zucchini that she didn't know what to do with. I am not comfortable asking for things and was going to push the thought aside to avoid the discomfort. I really didn't want her to give me zucchini out of generosity if she would have used it herself.  I thought of the need to act on SGBDs and decided to act on the impression to call.

Her response: "Do I ever! Two of them, big as a sailboat that I don't want to use! Bring your car because they are big!" It turns out that she felt very relieved because she hates things to go to waste. She had been trying to find time to call around to see who might want the zucchini. So , I saved her time, relieved her burden and blessed my family with zucchini!

To top it all off, this morning I find out that my friend who is very sick with her pregnancy is craving zucchini muffins! Now I have plenty of zucchini to make her some.

This is getting fun. Thanks for getting me going!

1 comment: