"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."

Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Most Bizarre

Alright... I must write about the most bizarre experience. It is so bizarre it is painful to even think about, let alone write about it... yet, not having written about it, makes my brain and life feel cluttered! I am a mess having procrastinated this entry. Here I go...

I am not one to live Cinderella's dream. In fact, the idea of getting up in the middle of the night to watch the Royal Wedding was silly to me. We don't have television, and looking for a live feed on the internet, in the middle of my sleep, exceeded my curiosity. I decided if there was something I wanted to see, I could find the fast forward version on the internet in the morning.

However, I was surprised things about the ceremony caught my attention and grabbed at my heart. Things I pondered for days. One; how Kate bow to the Queen before the ceremony as a Common Folk, and after the ceremony as Royalty. I did not realize there were different types of bows. I began reflect on my life and ceremonies for Royal Priests and Priestess'.

Then one morning I awaken to the thought, "Write to Queen Elizabeth." Of course I gave a resounding, "WHAT?" Again, "Send a post card to Queen Elizabeth II."

O.K. is that not the most bizarre idea you have ever heard? Well, for me it is! I knew what I felt and I knew I had to do it. It took effort to: find a post card not already filled with a description of the picture; postage that fit on the card, and an address for the Queen. I wrote many rough drafts to express myself on the seemly tiny post card. I even traced the post card and practiced writing it over and over to condense my thoughts and feelings to all fit. (See how hard it is for me to express myself in a few words.)

I felt serious stress, trying to write the finally copy on the card. The anxiety of this dumb idea was killing me. I finally called my boys together and asked them to pray with me. I told them I really needed help to follow through with this prompting, although it seemed such a silly idea. I then told them the prompting. Well, teenage boys let you know! Although they did not dare dispute me on this one, their faces confirmed they agreed on the stupidity....

I wanted no mistakes, so having prayed, the address and stamp in place, I swallowed hard and copied the final draft on to the post card. It still wasn't easy. Upon completion, I turned the post card over and found the note upside down to the picture. I was not about to start over. I did not want anyone in my tiny town to see what a foolish thing I had done. I got in the car and drove out of town, and dropped it off at the post office. I wanted to yell, "And don't let the door hit you on your way out!"

I don't know if this experience, like the loaf of bread, is for my own growth or my boys. Perhaps it is for someone who will see the post card in route. I can't imagine the card actually reaching her.

Who knows the reason... I just know, I needed to do, so I painfully DID IT. I even managed to confess it to you.

Maybe it exceeds your curiosity, but this is how it read:

Thank you for allowing us to enjoy the Royal Wedding.
It was beautiful! We too value marriage, family &
proper order. We honor how you've lead the way in
your family and for the world. We too are grateful
for our English & Irish Heritage.

Respectfully,

The Babcock Family

In one of my many final drafts, I felt I should sign my maiden name representing our heritage.


Whew...I feel better with that confession off my chest.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Bonnie! Welcome to the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's stupid, I think it's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I LOVE IT!! That is exactly the kind of thing I would have done. And here I thought I was the only one that would have thought to drive out of town to drop it in the post. This is the most fantastic entry yet! Thank you, thank you for sharing. (still giggling) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I blush reading your comments and thinking about it again.

    ReplyDelete