"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."

Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Not-so-fun Conversation

I have a dear friend named Jodi. Her husband's cousin just passed away. This woman's aorta ruptured when she was 33 weeks pregnant with her fourth child. It turned out that this happened because the sweet mom had had heart surgery at four years old. Basically, it was her time to leave the earth. Nothing could be done to save her. Her baby was born via cesarean section and lived less than two days.

When I was about 21, my aunt passed away in a very similar situation. She had a heart attack when she was pregnant. She died very quickly and the baby died within three days. I actually got to hold the precious angel, "Noah Gabriel" before his spirit went back to Heavenly Father. It was a very spiritual experience for me.

So, a couple days ago I was laying in bed thinking about this and realizing how fragile life can be. We never know when it will be "our time" to leave this earthly life and return to God. And, pregnancy has it's risks. It is taxing on women to grow a baby within their bodies. Women die in childbirth. Women die right after childbirth. It is a risk we take on, hoping for the best, of course. Fortunately, not as many woman die these days as before.

So, I get this feeling that I need to talk to John, ASAP, about what my wishes would be if I were to die. Mainly if I were to die, and my baby were to live. What would I wish to be done with the baby, etc.

So, that night I brought up this Not-So-Fun conversation. We talked about several options available. His ideas and mine were very different, so I'm glad we talked. But, IF that were to happen, we both decided that he would need to pray and follow the spirit on what would be best for the family and for the baby. And, I felt good about this.

I also told him that I was NOT going to die, so not to worry. I have too much to do on this earth! I'm no where near ready. :) We went to sleep a little sobered by this morbid conversation, but like I said, I am really glad we talked about it.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, please don't go just yet. I wouldn't be very happy about that. I'm glad that you have the kind of relationship that allows you to discuss the not-so-nice items in life. I know so many people that won't. It makes me sad for them. It brings so much peace knowing that one can openly discuss anything. You did good. :)

    ReplyDelete