"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."

Leonardo da Vinci

Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Lord always knows what's going on in my mind

Today is Sunday. Last Sunday I told my wayward daughter that I would be stopping by her house this Sunday morning to invite her to go to church with me. She told me that she'd probably say "no," and I told her that I'd be stopping by anyway at 8 a.m.

At 8:28 a.m. this morning, I finally got out the door. As we drove to church, I realized that there was no way we'd make it to church on time if we stopped at her house on the way, so we drove on. At 8:50 a.m. we pulled into the parking lot. I sat in the car, thinking, for a moment and then asked my husband for the keys, because I felt strongly that I needed to go find my little lost sheep, even if I was late.

Just after 9 a.m., I knocked on her door, twice, before she finally dragged herself out of bed to greet me at the door, shooting visual daggers at my face and telling me "no" when I asked if she'd like to come to church with me. I smiled, kissed her on the cheek and happily hopped back in my car and started driving back to church.

As I was driving, I noticed the time and felt distressed that there was no way I'd make it back to the chapel in time to take the sacrament. The chapel was still 10 minutes away, and it was already 9:15. You have to understand, I really, really like to take the sacrament every week. It's so important to me. As I was stressing over this, I wondered if the Lord would take into consideration that I was on His errand when I didn't make it back in time to take the sacrament. Soon, I realized this was flawed thinking, because the Lord would've gotten out of the house on time and done it before church.

* sigh *

As I was wallowing in my pathetic thoughts, a new thought hit me and hit me hard. I thought, "Look up and pull off at the next chapel you see." My answer to that thought was, "Uh yeah...there aren't any chapels between here and my chapel. I know because I drive this road ALL the time."  Then I saw the steeple and my mouth fell open. Where in the world did that church come from??? Surely, it wasn't there before!

So, I pulled into the first open spot I saw and started running as fast as one can run in 3-inch heels. The chapel wasn't like any I'd seen before which is why I must not have noticed it before. The building didn't even look like a chapel to me, except that steeple sticking out of the top of the trees. Then I thought, "It would be just my luck that this is a Baptist or Presbyterian church." I double checked the side of the building as I "raced" through the parking lot and felt relief as the words "Latter-Day Saints" flashed by. I just wanted to make it in time, at least, for the water.

I flew through the door with my ears straining to hear where they were in the Sacrament Meeting when to my dismay, I hear a language that definitely isn't English. I've cruised right into a language branch. Because I can't tell where we're at in the meeting just by listening, I poked my head into the meeting and realized there are NO seats available in the back, but they are just finishing the prayer on the bread. So, I decide to stand in the foyer and hope they serve in the foyer in this branch. They do.

After the sacrament, I race back to the car and fly back to my chapel. I walk in just as the bishop is opening the testimonies to the congregation.

I sat and realized that despite the trip across town and back and the non-English stop-off, I actually didn't miss any of the really important parts of church. The Lord made it possible for me to run His errand and still make it to all of the important parts of the meetings. It never ceases to amaze me that He is just SO aware of me. He makes me feel like the most important person in the world. He makes me feel like this earth life revolves around me. The neatest part is, He can make everyone feel that way if they let Him.

1 comment: